In one night, this meal can take a little bit of time to make but it’s definitely worth it…or you can prep majority of it earlier in the week.
recipe from: heandsheeatclean.com
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1.5 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup coconut cream (skimmed off the top of a can of coconut milk)
- 1.25 cups green peas (be sure they are thawed if you are using frozen)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
*Can prep steps one and two earlier in the week*
- If you have not cooked/shredded your chicken, do that.
To boil the chicken, place it in a large pot and cover with water or chicken broth (or combination of both). Be sure to cover all chicken. Add desired spices (garlic, sea salt, pepper, any vegetables you have lying around). Bring to boil on medium high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and cover. Allow chicken to cook until heated through (about 25-30 for 6 chicken breasts and 8-15 minutes for 3 breasts, depending by size). Always chicken the temperature with a meat thermometer! Shred and enjoy.
- If you have not cooked your butternut squash, do that as well. Peel and cube butternut squash. Add to a large pot of boiling water for about 40 minutes. Remove the butternut squash from the pot with a strainer and put in a large bowl. Using a potato masher (or fork), mash the squash to a smooth but somewhat chunky texture.
- Add (1 tbsp) apple cider vinegar, (1 tsp) sea salt, (1 tsp) garlic powder, (1/2 tsp) black pepper, (1/2 tsp) oregano, (1/2 tsp) thyme, and (1/2 tsp) onion powder to the mashed squash and stir to combine.
- Combine (1/2 cup) coconut creme and (2 tbsp) coconut oil.
- Stir coconut oil, coconut creme, shredded chicken and (1.5 cups) green peas into the mashed squash.
- Place mixture in a large skillet and cook for about 8-10 minutes on medium heat.